Available for 30 days On-Demand
The purpose of this workshop is to equip participants with specific skills and strategies to make the teenage years a success. Autistic teens use specific coping strategies to cope with having autism. The coping styles and the implications of these for understanding, teaching, parenting and managing autistic teens are described. The presenters will focus on a range of areas known to be important to autistic teenagers including the transition into high school, the learning profile and specific strategies to encourage academic and social success, the management of anxiety, stress, anger and depression, friendships, relationships and sexuality, what to do about bullying, and transition into a career.
- Presented by Dr Tony Attwood and Dr Michelle Garnett
- 30 days to complete the course
- 5 hours 45 minutes broken into 4 sessions
- Downloadable PDF handouts supplied
- Certificate of completion
- $230.00 per person
This course will equip participants with specific skills and strategies to make the teenage years a success.
Who will benefit?
All education professionals including Teachers, Teacher Aides, SENCOs, Learning Support Co-ordinators, School Principals, Counsellors, RTLBs, and administrative staff. Other education and health service providers including Speech Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Physio Therapists, Psychologists, Paediatricians, Mental Health Workers, Support Workers, and Families.
- Research on the neurology of the teenage brain and how this affects the teenager with autism.
- If, when and how to share the discovery of autism with your teenager.
- Strategies to transition an autistic teenager to high school.
- The learning profile of the teenager with autism and necessary classroom accommodations and considerations.
- How to recognise autism in teenagers who camouflage in school and diagnostic interviews.
- Strategies to teach teenagers with autism to develop awareness of themselves and their emotions, for use across settings.
- Parenting strategies for the autistic teenager.
- How to manage a meltdown.
- How to recognise and manage a depression attack.
- Understanding and supporting friendship for autistic teenagers.
- Teaching sexuality.
- Strategies for building resilience in the face of bullying and peer exclusion.
- How to manage the transition to career.
What others have said about our Online Courses:
“I have done a few different online courses recently but none of them compare to the professionally delivered courses by Creating Success. Tony and Michelle’s delivery is brilliant. I learnt so much and was engaged the whole duration of the course.” (Angelique – Auckland)
“Thank you so much for providing these training opportunities. Hands down the BEST online course I have done.” (Jennifer – Napier)
“Michelle and Tony have such wonderful compassion and the way they present their information makes it so easy to watch. The 6 hour course went so fast I’m going to register for the other courses as well.” (Jan – New Plymouth)