Available for 30 days On-Demand
This presentation will celebrate the unique presentation of autistic girls and women. It will increase awareness and knowledge of the female presentation of ASD and share strategies we find useful in clinical practice. We will address key challenges, including self-understanding, adolescence, relationships and expressing and managing emotions. We will provide strategies to maximise the possibility of successful outcomes.
- Presented by Dr Tony Attwood and Dr Michelle Garnett
- 30 days to complete the course
- Approximately 5 1/2 hours broken into 4 sessions
- Downloadable PDF handouts supplied
- Certificate of completion
- $230.00 per person
This course will celebrate the unique presentation of autistic girls and women. It will increase awareness and knowledge of the female presentation of ASD and share strategies we find useful in clinical practice. We will address key challenges, including self-understanding, adolescence, relationships and expressing and managing emotions. We will provide strategies to maximise the possibility of successful outcomes.
Who will benefit?
All education professionals including Teachers, Teacher Aides, SENCOs, Learning Support Co-ordinators, School Principals, Counsellors, RTLBs, and administrative staff. Other education and health service providers including Speech Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Physio Therapists, Psychologists, Paediatricians, Mental Health Workers, Support Workers, and Families.
This course will also benefit autistic girls and women.
This presentation celebrates the unique presentation of girls and women on the autism spectrum. The presentation will equip the participant to:
- Understand why autistic girls and women are under diagnosed.
- Recognise camouflaging and compensation coping mechanisms.
- Recognise the ways the profile of abilities for autistic girls may be different to boys at different stages of development.
- Appreciate the different pathways to diagnosis in autistic adolescent girls and women.
- Utilise two new screening tools (QAS-C) designed to identify the characteristics of ASD level 1 in children and adolescents and in women.
- Understand issues regarding self-identity and low self-esteem for autistic girls and women.
- Strategies to enhance the concept of self.
- Learn activities in a group programme (Being Me) developed for teenage girls with ASD.
- Recognition of the effects of alexithymia and empathic attunement on the ability to experience and express emotions.
- Strategies to recognise and regulate emotions.
- The value of Energy Accounting to reduce the depth and duration of depression.
- Understanding how Polyvagal theory can facilitate emotion management.
- Learn strategies to develop friendship skills in childhood and adolescence.
- Choose resources to improve social reasoning abilities.
- Understand issues regarding adult relationships especially vulnerability, sexuality and being a mother.
- Learn best ways for seeking and maintaining employment.
What others have said about our Online Courses:
“I have done a few different online courses recently but none of them compare to the professionally delivered courses by Creating Success. Tony and Michelle’s delivery is brilliant. I learnt so much and was engaged the whole duration of the course.” (Angelique – Auckland)
“Thank you so much for providing these training opportunities. Hands down the BEST online course I have done.” (Jennifer – Napier)
“Michelle and Tony have such wonderful compassion and the way they present their information makes it so easy to watch. The 6 hour course went so fast I’m going to register for the other courses as well.” (Jan – New Plymouth)